How do you shop for a new roof in Northern Virginia? When your current roof shows visible signs of wear and tear and your most recent roofing inspection warns you about its limited lifespan, it’s time to think about what you want. Today’s roofing market offers attractive, energy-efficient solutions that will make your home look better than ever. Here are some considerations that will help you find the right roof for you.
1. Types of Roofing
There are so many options for roofing materials that it can take a while to browse through all the products available.
- Asphalt: Most affordable material, easy to install, variety of colors. Since it is the easiest to install, you save money on labor costs. CertainTeed makes world-class asphalt shingles that are a cut above other brands. The Camelot II Lifetime Designer Shingles by GAF are another dependable type of fiberglass asphalt shingle that elevates the durability of asphalt to another level.
- Slate: Long-lasting, classic image, and a home value boost. However, stones like slate are typically more difficult to install so you will spend more on labor compared to materials like asphalt and composite. But stone lasts up to 100 years or more!
- Metal: Long life span (50+ years), stately image, massive curb appeal, and a home value boost.
- Composite: resembles wood or stone but is pest and moisture-resistant, easy to install, variety of colors and patterns. CertainTeed’s Symphony Slate is a composite stone replica shingle that will trick your whole neighborhood into thinking you just installed a stone roof!
- Clay/Tile: Classic southwestern look, keeps roofs cool, long-lasting. This kind of roof is more common in the deep south because of its heat-reflective properties.
When shopping for roofing materials, it’s important to look beyond just the material itself. Each brand and product type has a spectrum of quality. For example, low-end asphalt that is of the cheapest grade is a quick fix and surely will last for at least 10 years with good care, but it won’t stand up to storm damage as well as high-end asphalt, which can last upwards to 25 years. The same principles apply to composite, clay, and other stone-based roofing. Durability and quality are relative to the product you buy.
Knowing what you can afford plays a large role in your shopping. After all, you don’t want to waste time at a Ferrari dealership when you have the budget for a standard used vehicle. When you crunch the numbers and find out how much you can spend, you can then set your eyes on some realistic options.
We also understand that when roofing needs arise, it may not always be the optimal time. However, this doesn’t mean you have to cut corners on quality due to a lack of immediate funds. We have financing options that can make a new roof manageable for your budget. It is also possible to get funds for this type of home improvement from your bank by borrowing against your home. If you would like some tips on budgeting a new roof, give us a call.
3. Compare Quotes… and Their Value
After you know what type of roof you can afford, you need someone to install it. This is an involved job that requires teamwork and expertise. The cost of labor is a large factor. It is possible to install a roof on top of an existing roof, which is cheaper due to its relative simplicity, but your roofer may have to tear the existing roof down to the trusses, which accrues higher labor costs. Make sure the quotes you are comparing are for the same kind of installation and roofing material. Look at the cost breakdown and see how much the shingles, labor, and other costs compare. Don’t forget to figure in the value of a licensed and insured contractor over a lone contractor without any credentials.
- Extra Considerations: Is the quote you’re getting from a licensed, insured contractor competitive and realistic, or is someone trying to sell you things you don’t necessarily need? We encourage you to get your quotes and to assess what you’re getting out of the situation. If your roofers are licensed, your roof can also be covered by insurance if any mishaps occur. Is a solo handyman going to repair your roof for an unbelievable price, but he isn’t licensed? Think about the financial consequences of getting an unlicensed contractor to do your roof before proceeding.
Shop For a New Roof in Northern Virginia
Looking for a new roof in Sterling VA is serious business, and we know how seriously you take yours. That’s why Noble Roofing will waste no time getting you what you need. Aside from the range of GAF commercial roofing products we have available, we also do insurance work so you can turn to us at any time to get your commercial roof back into shape.
To learn more about finding the best roofers in Northern Virginia, just give us a call today at (703) 404-0505. You can also request a free estimate through our contact form on our website.