We’ve talked about filing a claim and how having insurance cover your repairs can save you thousands of dollars from your bank account, but how do you speak to your insurance company to get the best results? What kind of resources do you need and how can you maximize your chances of getting your claims honored?
How to Talk to Homeowners Insurance to Make a Claim
1. Know Your Policy.
We know it’s kind of cliche’ to say that “knowledge is power”, but when it comes to insurance claims, having full disclosure of what’s covered is important! Your policy can change in tiny details every year, so read up on the fine print before you accept the renewals. Just because you had full tree damage covered 15 years ago, it doesn’t mean that the same coverage applies today.
Overall, it’s important to pick the best policy that covers you for acts of nature like this and to verify that your plan includes these instances. When you’re on the phone, you should get your policy in front of you and highlight the clauses that support that your roof’s storm damage does fall under the category of covered repairs.
1. Notify Your Insurance & Contractor.
It’s important to let both your insurance company know that damage has happened ASAP. This starts a paper trail for the claim. Then, the next phone call you should make is to your trusted roofing contractor to get an inspection to verify the storm damage with proper documentation to bolster the claim.
2. Collect Information Personally.
While you wait for your contractor and adjusters to take action, you don’t have to sit idly. Take photos of the damage to start documenting the damage.
Take high res, well-lit photos from as many vantage points as possible. There’s no such thing as too many photos (well, that is, unless your phone runs out of memory). Use a common object like a penny or ruler to give a sense of scale to pictures. This is especially important for cases involving hail damage. Wide shots are also useful along with close up shots to show your insurance company where the damage is located.
- pro tip: Photos are excellent, but video is also a great way to convey information!
3. Verify The Source of Damage & Get Realistic Repair Quotes.
Having a roofing inspection from a licensed contractor verify that your roof was damaged by a storm is incredibly helpful to speed along your homeowners insurance claim. These individuals can also give you a realistic quote of what the repairs would cost. This evidence and cost estimate will help you get the most out of your claim.
4. Have Evidence of Storm Damage & Realistic Quotes Prepared for the Adjuster.
An adjuster, who works for the insurance company, will also come to check the damage. They usually aren’t working to help you, but to make sure insurance pays as little as possible. This is why you need a quote and evidence from your contractor to help you get the best coverage.
If you only work with a claims adjuster, you are more likely to get lowball bids for coverage. They can also miss key details and underestimate how much the repairs actually cost. This is why having information from licensed contractors is extremely helpful in getting you the most out of your insurance company.
5. Tips for The Best Adjuster Inspection:
Overall, your goal is to avoid having a lack of information or say anything that makes it possible to reduce your claim or avoid paying it. Here are some tips to maximize your chances of having your claim honored.
- Be present during the inspection. This will keep your adjuster accountable and to make sure they don’t miss any details that would lower their repair cost estimate. You can also hand them official documentation of your roofer’s inspection and show them photos and video from your phone.
- Use your words wisely. Be extremely careful about what you say to the adjuster. A wrong word or phrase can give the impression that the damage was preexisting, even if it wasn’t. Only say what is necessary and don’t volunteer any information if it isn’t relevant. The more focused you are on the situation, the better.
- Provide official, documented evidence of the damage. Having information like photos, video, and your roofer’s post storm inspection can make a watertight case for storm damage!
- Never admit fault! Saying things like, “My roof’s been on death’s door!” could make an adjuster raise his eyebrows. These verbal slippages, although not based on any evidence, could leave room for claim denial.
Don’t Do This Alone!
At Noble Roofing, we will support you in filing a legitimate claim that is the direct result of storm damage. The key is to have us come out as soon as possible after a storm so we can verify that your missing shingles or impacted roof are from hail or a fallen tree.
When you wait too long to report your damage, the waters could get muddy and it will be more difficult to make a case for a legitimate claim. So, with the help of licensed roofing inspectors, you can make a robust, evidence-filled claim with high-quality photos and have a professional opinion to back up your claim.
Efficient Roof Repair in Northern VA
Trust the repair and restoration of your roof to the professionals at Noble Roofing. Call (703) 404-0505 for an estimate today or complete our online quote request form.