At Noble Roofing, we’re strong advocates of buying the right siding. Skimping on this step can leave your home unprotected and result in higher bills from energy loss. (Not to mention, flimsy siding is less insulated, which means you hear all the noises outside)! If you just want our personal recommendation, here are the brands that we stand by:
These brands can get you through any weather. Be sure to explore these product pages on our site to get a good idea of what you would like.
What Defines Good Siding?
We could write about siding all day. There’s so much to this product that we decided to include a crash course for the key aspects that make a quality siding product. Therefore, the next time someone tries to convince you something sub-par is good for your home, you have all the rebuttals you need to become a quality siding advocate. Three qualities you need to stress having are:
- Profiles that look good and will match your design needs.
- The right thickness (and material) for your project
- Quality Insulation (like foamback)
Siding 101: Your Personal Crash Course in Quality Siding
When you step into a home improvement store, you’ll be bombarded with a parade of brands, prices, features, and more. You’ll see everything from rock-bottom cheap to extravagant. What features do you actually need in siding, and what do they do?
This is a fancy word for the width of a siding panel. Siding usually comes in single, double, and triple panels. Therefore, if you have a double panel that has 3-inch profiles, you’ll have two panels that are 3 inches wide attached to each other. Here are a few examples that will get you acclimated to the term.
Thickness & Material
While the term “profile” defines how wide the panels are, thickness describes how thick they are. The thinner the product is, the cheaper it will be, but it also won’t be as durable. Thicker panels generally tend to be more sturdy. However, it’s not just the thickness you should be looking out for. The right material can provide qualities you’re looking for in your next siding project. You should consider these materials along with thickness:
- Vinyl: Non-organic and light, therefore easier to install as DIY and easy to maintain. It’s usually the thinnest but the most affordable of the three. Vinyl continues to improve with technology, so there’s also plenty of high-end options available as well.
- Wood/Log: Organic and requires more upkeep, difficult to install as DIY and more costly to maintain, but its natural insulation and thickness are decent. Homeowners also love its natural beauty and appeal.
- Fiber Cement: Non-organic but heavy, therefore not a DIY project. Easy to maintain, but typically the most expensive of the three. It’s also known for its thickness and good insulation factor when it’s equipped with foamback insulation.
When talking about log and fiber cement siding, we briefly touched on insulation. This is the final feature you should keep your eyes out for. In the majority of home improvement cases, having insulation is better than not having it. Whether you live in a hot or cold climate, keeping your home energy-efficient while also blocking outside noises is a desirable feature.
How do you know if the insulation you’re buying is good? Let the numbers tell you. Insulation is ranked by an R-value score. Any R-value under 1 isn’t going to be that great, but a material that scores a 3 and above is worth the cost.
If the siding you like doesn’t come pre-insulated (i.e. with foamback insulation), then you should consider wrapping your home with insulation before installing your siding.
Siding Installation & Repair in Northern Virginia
Getting the right product is half the battle. Installing it correctly the first time will save you a world of worry, wasted money, and time. Noble Roofing is the expert you can turn to for residential roofing and storm damage services. For more than two decades, we’ve developed a reputation for sheer quality and dependability. We serve Centreville, VA, and other nearby areas. Give us a call today at (703) 429-0840 and experience our top-notch service for yourself.