Snow, sleet, hail, and strong winds can cause a lot of stress to your home’s exterior siding. Fixing your failing siding early can prevent more expensive problems from happening. Spare yourself costly maintenance and unhealthy living conditions by staying vigilant. Here are common signs of winter siding damage that you don’t want to miss.
Signs of Damage in Different Materials
Vinyl: This popular material is sturdy and low-maintenance, but freezing cold temperatures can make lesser-quality vinyl brittle and crack. To decrease your chances for mishaps like this, get your siding upgrade from reputable manufacturers like CertainTeed, James Hardie, or Mastic. This type of vinyl siding is built to last and highly resistant to warping, cracks, and moisture damage.
Wood: Many homeowners love the timeless look of wood siding, but weather conditions like snow can wear away the finish on the material and expose it to moisture. Rot and mildew are common problems with wood, as well as chipped paint. If you have wood siding, keep your eyes open for fading, chipped paint, moisture, rot, and pests.
Fiber Cement: Made to stand the test of time, fiber cement is not prone to as many issues as wood. However, the material can become loose after storms or simply fade after being on the house for a long time. Overall, this is a durable material that many homeowners like.
Aluminum: Aluminum is durable but is prone to rust, chipped paint, and warping over time. Check this siding for these issues and any structural irregularities periodically.
Common signs of Damage in Siding
- Missing or Dislodged Siding: Winter storms sometimes come with strong winds. This can cause parts of your siding to come off. This exposes your house to cold temperatures and moisture. This obvious sign of damage can be easily confirmed by any homeowner. Call Noble Roofing as soon as you see missing or dislodged siding so that you can get repairs quickly.
- Internal moisture: If you spot moisture in your walls, then you may also have a siding problem. Homeowners often see peeling paint or bubbly wallpaper that come from moisture seeping in through the walls. This can lead to mold and water damage. Get someone to check your siding today to figure out the source of the moisture.
- Fading: Faded siding is mainly an aesthetic issue, but it is also a sign of aging. Older siding has a higher chance of not working well. If it has been a while since your home has looked its best, why not upgrade your siding?
- Warping: This problem occurs mainly with wooden siding, but it can happen to any material if it has sustained significant damage. Moisture is the main culprit for warping. If you see this sign, get help!
- Cracks: Winter weather can cause cracks in just about any material, but especially cheap or old vinyl siding. When materials freeze, any pressure can cause it to snap, crack, or break. This damaged siding can let in moisture, cold wind, and insects.
- Higher Heating bill: If your heating bill keeps on going up, it can be a result of old or damaged siding not properly insulating your home. Siding helps regulate your home’s temperature. Damage to your siding causes uncomfortable interior conditions.
- Rotting: Wood siding, is more susceptible to rot than other materials. If you catch the rot early in one spot, you can do a small, inexpensive repair. But since dry rot spreads quickly, you need to act fast. To avoid the common problems with wood, consider installing new composite boards like Hardiplank® or rot-resistant vinyl.
Siding Replacement or Repair in Northern Virginia
Whether you’re looking for better form or function, or simply feel that a new siding is in order, trust Noble Roofing, the preferred choice for roof replacement in Centreville VA and surrounding cities. Give us a call at (703) 404-0505 to speak with our roofing and siding experts. You can also request a free estimate through our online request form today.